As I previously mentioned, there are approximately EIGHT Professional Oil patterns that are used mostly in the PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) Tournaments that you can watch on television. Sometimes they may appear on the lanes during some of the tournaments that take place around the country as well. Oil is placed on the lanes to present a challenge to each bowler. The quicker you can figure out the oil pattern, the better your scores will be. Oil patterns affect the speed, spin, and direction of your ball as it travels down the lane.
1. Strokers--Should begin aiming between the 2nd and 3rd arrows and play a bit straighter into the pocket area.
Tweeners-- Aim around the 3rd arrow to start.
Crankers-- Start the stance a bit more to the right than normal and can use the 3rd arrow as the target. As the pattern
wears down it will be a higher scoring pattern for those with this style.
2. A stronger hooking ball is better to start with, one that hooks more on the back end for this pattern if you have one.
3. This will be a slightly higher scoring pattern and not as difficult as the Shark Pattern since the ball will have two feet less oil to travel on, which will allow it to be able to roll and hook into the pocket area a bit sooner.
4. You can play from different angles on the Scorpion Pattern, which allows you to have more options than with the Shark Pattern.
5.You can also try playing this pattern the way you would normally play on a house pattern but there is less room for error on this one, so try to be as accurate as possible. If you miss your mark to the outside for example (to the right), the ball may not have a chance to recover (hook back) and you may miss hitting the headpin altogether.
6. The breakpoint (when the ball starts to hook) is between the 6th and the 10th board, similar to most House Patterns.
Use the above pointers as a starting point but it's best to just observe the ball to determine what adjustments to make. Remember too, as the oil moves farther down the lane towards the pins (carry down oil), you may have a little trouble getting into the pocket.
Check out my ebook available on Amazon/Kindle--"Let's Rev Up Those Bowling Scores" for only $14.99.
Join me here again next week when I will be discussing "What is the best angle to bowl a strike"?
Good Luck and High Scoring!!
Hello!! My name is Joanie. Although I'm not a professional bowler, I have loved the sport for more than 45 years, averaged over 200 for several seasons, and learned quite a bit with research and experience.