Silly Superstitions in Bowling
I wish everyone a very Safe, and Happy Halloween!!
Notice I saved this one for a scary day! Lol
We all have our little quirks, beliefs, and superstitions. If you're a person that does believe in Superstitions, then maybe you shouldn't read this blog post, or maybe you should to see that some of these are SILLY and you shouldn't let them affect your ability to bowling well!
1. Repeating things-- Some bowlers think that if they bowled well, they should wear those same clothes each week or that they need to sit in the same seat week after week and if they don't, somehow they are going to bowl poorly.
2. Cleaning the ball--Some bowlers think they actually need to wipe the ball after every shot and if they don't it will make them bowl bad. I do agree that it's a good idea to clean the debris off the ball after a few frames, and I guess their mind set is "if it's working, then don't change it", but it's not really necessary to do this after every shot.
3. Practicing too much-- I know people that don't practice if they just had a good night in their league. They only go practicing if they have a bad night. Also during the league ten minute practice session, I see people sit down right away if they throw a strike or two instead of practicing for the 10 and 7 pins, or a pin they may have been having issues with in the previous week. They tell me "I don't want to use up all my strikes, I'd rather save them for the real game when it counts" (more on this one in a later Blog Post).
4. The 300 Jinx--If someone is getting several strikes in a row, people shouldn't say anything to them about possibly getting a 300 game, or should be asking them if they have ever had a 300 game before. This one may be real because I have seen it happen to several people over the years. The bowler is already getting pretty pumped up and excited when he/she has at least 7 or 8 consecutive strikes, and if people start coming over to watch, then the pressure becomes a reality and if someone does say something, it will be in the bowlers mind. If people can just stay quiet, the person may be able to pull it off!! but then again, if you are totally focused and just do your best to execute another good shot, I do believe you will get that 300 game! The best thing to do is to block out the people around you, pretend you are at the lanes practicing by yourself if you can picture it in your mind.
5. Not Bowling next to a Split--People should NOT be afraid to do this and when they do, they hold people up. Just remember that whatever you focus on is what you'll get, so if you focus on the split next to you, then of course you will most likely end up with a split. If you just focus on doing your things correctly and getting a good first ball, then you'll get a strike or at least a 9 with an easy spare to convert, the choice is yours.
6. Three Sixes in a Row--666 means "The Beast" or Devil in the Bible. Many people think it's bad luck to get a 666 Series for three games, but it's a 222 average and great bowling in my book!
7. Mascots-- Many people bring all sorts of little stuffed animals, a rabbits foot, or other silly paraphernalia as good luck charms. They think that by having it with them, touching it, or even talking to it will bring them good luck and help them to bowl better. Last week we bowled against a team and the lady had and petted the little stuffed kitty she had before she bowled. She got a 7 on the first shot and chopped the spare. When she came back, she actually yelled at it. I was cracking up! So if they really worked, that would have never happened. It's what we put in our own minds that actually controls us, not the good luck charm itself.
I find most of these things to be actually quite comical! I'll be discussing more on these superstitions and the mental aspects associated with them in a letter blog post.
Just remember that regular practicing, having good equipment and good timing, executing a good release with a good lift and loft, and getting the ball over the correct mark, will be what gets you to that next level. Bad luck only happens to bowlers when they let fearful and negative thoughts enter into their minds instead of staying positive and just focusing on what they need to get done on the lanes!!
Check out my ebook on:
Join me here next week when I'll be discussing Common Problems that can Hurt Your Bowling.
Good Luck and High Scoring!! Don't forget those exercises too!
Leave a Reply.
Hello!! My name is Joanie. Although I'm not a professional bowler, I have loved the sport for more than 45 years, averaged over 200 for several seasons, and learned quite a bit with research and experience.