I don't know if you have ever heard of Anthony Robbins. He's a famous Life Coach and motivational speaker. In one of his many book, he writes about Six Needs that everyone must have in order to feel fulfilled and happy during their life.
1. CERTAINTY-- When we are certain about things in our life, then we feel comfortable. We avoid pain and feel pleasure when things are going just right and we feel somewhat at peace and in control of things. But when we have too much certainty, then things can get predictable and become a bit boring. That's when the second need comes into play.
2. UNCERTAINTY-- When things are uncertain in our lives, we can become stressed, scared, or even nervous. But it can be a good thing because uncertainty gives life some variety or even an element of surprise. Uncertainty can actually help us grow more mentally. Certainty and uncertainty are opposite but at the same time, they compliment each other.
3. SIGNIFICANCE--All humans have the need to feel significant or different in some way to set themselves apart from everyone else. But by doing this, then we all have to feel needed in some way, which brings us to number four.
4. CONNECTION & LOVE--Everyone needs to feel loved or connected to others in some way in order to feel totally fulfilled. Significance, and Connection & Love are also opposite and complimentary of each other.
5. GROWTH-- Everyone needs to Grow in some way to feel like they have a purpose for being here on this earth. Things are either growing or dying, there is no in between. If you're not happy, it's probably because you have stopped growing.
6. CONTRIBUTION-- All of us need to contribute to this life in some form or another in order to "Serve the Greater Good". WE need to do things that we know are right and that will make us feel good and give us a sense of belonging.
People us different VEHICLES or ways to attain these six basic needs. Most of us use positive vehicles, but some of us may resort to using negative ones.You can basically pick out anything in life that you do and rate it against these six basic needs on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the most fulfilling). If it's something you don't really enjoy, it will probably come in at a rating below 4 and if it's something you love to do, the ratings will probably be at least a 7-10.
I'm sure you are wondering at this point, how does this apply to the sport of bowling? Obviously I love Bowling, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this Blog, and you love bowling too otherwise you wouldn't be reading it. I thought it would be interesting to write how all of my six need are being fulfilled psychologically by bowling every week. and see if you can relate to most.
I feel CERTAIN that I will always try my best every time I bowl, I feel a level of UNCERTAINTY because the lanes are different each week which makes me feel challenged. Each week, I say to myself "Who knows, I may finally get that 300 game I've been striving for tonight". For a new bowler, the uncertainty may the worry they may feel wether or not they can hit their average that night. I feel a certain level of SIGNIFICANCE because I am usually the high average woman bowler in my leagues by year end and it makes me feel good and important, which sets me apart from the others. I feel a level of CONNECTION because I am part of a team that works together to try and win games to finish in the top three league positions. I know I'm GROWING because I talk to the pro shop guy and other bowlers who average higher than me and get results by following their advice about certain issues I may be having at the time. For people who are just starting out, they have even more room to grow because they still have lots to learn. I feel that I am CONTRIBUTING to my team because I feel I can help win games and it gives me a feeling of accomplishment. People come to me with questions in the league, and writing this Blog about bowling and knowing I'm helping lots of people become better bowlers, gives me a very higher feeling of contribution.
Try rating your own 6 needs on a scale from 1-10 on how you feel about bowling and see where your levels are.If your levels are high on the scale like mine, that's a good thing because then you'll be more likely to improve in a shorter amount of time!
I want to wish all my followers a very Happy Thanksgiving! If you took some time off from work this wee, go bowling with the kids so they can see how much you are improving!
Join me back here next week when I'll be discussing How to practice when you're away from the lanes.
Good Luck and High Scoring!!
Leave a Reply.
Hello!! My name is Joanie. Although I'm not a professional bowler, I have loved the sport for more than 45 years, averaged over 200 for several seasons, and learned quite a bit with research and experience.