Continued from August 30,2021 post:
19. After releasing the ball, try to think of your forearm going up towards the ceiling to help you get a good lift on the ball.
20. As you lift up your arm after the ball release, try to FEEL the elbow through the line of your target.
21. Don't try to flick the ball on the release, just feel a nice SMOOTH PENDULUM SWING bringing your arm up with
a good FOLLOW THROUGH.
22. Keep your head STILL and FRONTWARDS, not sideways, and KEEP your EYES FIXED on the TARGET for a few
seconds.It's the same way in golf. People tend to look at the fairway right after they swing at the ball. But you need to keep your head down and eyes fixed on the desired target. Otherwise how will you know if you really hit the correct target, if you look at the pins immediately after the release?
23. Most bowlers hold the ball out directly in front of them and then have to push it out slightly to the side to allow for body clearance so they don't hit the body on the downswing. Sometimes the bowler may go out more to the side than other times and we want to be as CONSISTENT as possible. The best way to avoid being inconsistent is at the stance. After you are set up on the approach, swing the hand holding the ball slightly out to the side to allow for body clearance, and keep the ELBOW somewhat CLOSE to the BODY. Then you will always put the ball out to the same amount by doing this before you begin the walk on the approach.
I know there has been a lot of information here in parts 1-4 on the important things to remember, but you can review them the day before or the day of your league so you can refresh your memory about these important BASICS. The more you remember, the more you can incorporate into your game, and the better your bowling will be.
Most of all, don't forget to have FUN! Sometimes there are so many things to think about at once, it becomes difficult. If this happens to you, then only work on one or two new things in your practice sessions at a time. As you become better at these, they will become what's referred to as "MUSCLE MEMORY" and then you'll only have to concentrate on more on the TARGET and the ADJUSTMENT you need to make as the lanes change.
Good Luck and high scoring!
Join me next week when I'll be showing you how to keep score in bowling.
Hello!! I'm not a professional bowler, but I have loved the sport for more than 45 years, averaged over 200 for several seasons, and learned quite a bit with research and experience.