24. If your ball isn't hooking as much as you'd like it to, then play an OUTSIDE LINE. For the right handed bowler, this means playing more ANGLE into the pocket by moving more to the right side of the lane at the stance. Stand on board 5 or 6 and use the second arrow. use this as a starting point and move left or right a board or two as necessary. Do the opposite if you're a lefty. You can also stand on board 9 or 10 and use the first arrow as your target. Most of the time the oil pattern will have the oil in the center of the lane and the outer part will be dry. The ball will be able to hook in the dry area.
25. If the strike isn't carrying but you are getting decent pocket hits, then try MOVING BACK on the lane 3 or 4 inches.That will make you release the ball a little sooner on the lane and it will have more lane to travel on making it hook an extra little bit to come up slightly higher on the headpin and hopefully carrying the strike. Again, use this as a starting point and adjust from there according to how much hook you have on your ball.
If you still can't carry the strike, then just get a good first ball and pick up those 1 pin spares. Remember that all spares and 9's equals a game of 190 which is still a very good score. Just try NOT to get frustrated, and don't move around too much on the lane. You may start getting confused which leads to worry and then you won't be able to stay focused! You want to avoid a lousy game! I have been there and done this many times when first learning to bowl.
26. If you're tense after a stressful day, take several DEEP BREATHS and exhale vigorously. Do a little STRETCHING before the practice begins to get rid of the tension in your muscles.
27. As previously mentioned to slow the ball down to make it hook a bit more if you need to, just SHORTEN your pendulum SWING by holding your ball down lower, or try waking slower if your timing is good.
28. To speed up the ball for a little less hook, hold the ball up higher at the stance which will lengthen the swing, or walk a little faster than normal if your timing is good.
Keep doing my bowling exercises to stay in good condition and keep your stamina good. I feel overall that stronger, more fit people are more successful in sports. Have fun and keep being patient with yourself, Rome wasn't built in a day!
Join me next week for a discussion on The "Importance of Taking a Breather".
Good luck and high scoring!
Hello!! My name is Joanie. Although I'm not a professional bowler, I have loved the sport for more than 45 years, averaged over 200 for several seasons, and learned quite a bit with research and experience.